Life is Flying By
This ONE thing makes time stop!
THANKS FOR JOINING ME IN THE NOW.
In the famous words of Ferris Bueller.
"Life moves pretty fast. If you don’t stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."
Wise man. 😉
I know it doesn’t seem like there are enough hours in the day, does it? Do you feel like time is just whizzing past you? It’s already Halloween?! Boy, this month flew by. Was that last year or this year? I can’t keep track. It all becomes a bit overwhelming, doesn’t it? Sigh.
In a world that runs at lightning speed, the universe has taught me to live in the present and savor every moment through some tough life experiences. It took tragedy for me to learn to truly live in the present. I hate admitting that, but that’s the truth. But the gift in that is that it’s changed the way my brain is wired to slow down and appreciate every precious second we all have on this earth. The present moment has an uncomplicated and pure quality that can only be found in the now. And I feel inclined to share this with everyone. Like I want to scream it from the mountain tops. Plaster it on billboards. And share it with my clients.
So here we go. I wanted to share a few tips for living in the present that I’ve picked up along the way. Do I have all the answers. NO. But employing these things has taught me to enjoy and embrace the beauty of life a little more. How to savor the sweetness of la vida.
- Ask yourself, “Am I here?”. Asking a simple question like that allows you to stop and observe where you are and what’s going on around you in your own little world.
- Take in all five senses. Appreciate how all of the elements of sight, smell, hearing, taste, and touch come together to form a fuller experience of this moment in time and cement it in your memory.
- Don’t think about what’s next. When you’re looking ahead to what’s next, you’re not in the now and subconsciously you’re thinking about what is better than what you’re experiencing at this given moment. Embrace the now and soak it all in with intention.
- Breathe. Slowing down and taking deep breaths holds an amazing power for appreciating the present.
- Widen your vision with curiosity. Open your blinders to your greater surroundings. Think about what a bird is experiencing. What would a dog see in this scene. Look at the clouds.
- Observe how the sun hits the leaves of a tree. Look at the world through the eyes of a child and allow yourself to be fascinated by everything around you.
- Get lost in the moment. Give yourself permission to live fully. Laugh a little harder. Smile a bit bigger. Pretend that nothing else matters other than this very moment in time because it doesn’t right now.
Write about it.
Snap pictures of your loved ones.
Talk about methods for slowing down and exchange ideas with each other.
Recognize the uniqueness of your own life experience on this planet.
HOLD ON TO EVERY MOMENT LIKE THERE’S NO TOMORROW.
My love for documentary photography and the drive to capture the raw beauty of real-life moments runs deep. It was always there but learning to truly live in the present has punctuated and magnified that calling.
I can’t ignore it. I chase it. I crave it. I need it.
Thank you for coming along on the journey.
Carpe (fucking) Diem,